A simple recipe for a deliciously different apricot jam made with very small apricots (less than 2cm in diameter).
1- For one kilogram of small apricots: wash the apricots, take out the pits by simply splitting them a little. This is labor intensive so put some nice music!
2- In a large pan, place the apricots along with one kg of sugar. Because these apricots are not as juicy as the larger ones, add half a cup of water but no more.
3- Place on medium heat until it starts to boil. During that time, mix gently so that the sugar does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
4- Bring down the heat to very low and let it simmer for about 40 minutes. Mix very gently about three times during the process so as not to break the fruits.
5- Once it is done, immediately place the jam in tightly closed glass containers. Let it cool down then place in the fridge. The jam is ready 24 hours later.
Tips for making jam:
– Do not mix excessively during cooking or the jam may come out too liquid and the pieces of fruit could disintegrate.
– To know if it is done, place a few drops of the jam on a plate and tilt it. If the liquid runs, it is not done.
– To prepare a glass jam container: simply pour boiling water in the container and rinse with that water. Then place it open side up until it dries. The cover should preferably be made of glass.
– Use a disposable cloth to clean the rim of the container after filling it with jam. Do not use a wet reusable cloth as it could encourage the formation of bacteria.
– Jam made this way can stay up to a year in the fridge.